Pages

  • Friday, June 04, 2010

    The Mess at IMS 2010 (part 2)...

    As promised....Race Day photos from the 2010 Mess at IMS!!! As I was going through all of these I realized that surprisingly we did get some good photos and I am not posting all of them so if you attended the Mess and would like to see all the photos, let me know.

    So, if we thought Saturday was hot, we were WRONG, Sunday was scorching and we did not have a gigantic 20x40 blue and white striped tent to hide under. This meant we were all applying serious amounts of sunscreen, see below! Although I swear as soon as we would get it on we would sweat it right off! If you have never been to the Indy 500, you probably wouldn't know this but there are events that you come to expect, even in a certain order that make the Indy 500 the Indy 500!! I don't really know how to explain it. The morning starts off VERY early because the helicopters are above us by 6 a.m. (seriously). Since we are camping in the Coke Lot, these helicopters are pretty tough to ignore.
    So back to the sequence of events..

    We get up...EARLY, normally a bit of a struggle, grab some bottles of water, wash our faces, brush our teeth, bust out the donut holes, vodka and OJ, grab the truck driving around selling ice (yes it is still like 7 a.m.) and set up the race pool. Once all that is taken care of we can make our way into turn 4, the earlier the better!

    You have all the traditional things like the National Anthem, then you have the unique things like the balloon launch (yes I may be almost 30 but look forward to this every year), and of course the singing of Back Home Again In Indiana by Jim Nabors. These are just a few of the things that make the Indy 500 special....

    You've got the fly over, which is just AWESOME...
    You've got Monsignor Schaedel, who not only married Chuck and I, but also baptised Chuck, Hannah and was on the jumbo tron saying the prayer before the race.... You've got these cars......I'm sorry but I am a girl and I even get chills the first time you hear these things go by....

    You've got the traditional in-field stuff...yes that guy trying to get the beach ball with a bunch of shirts tied together is with us!..


    You've got the mullets and the sweet sunglasses....we really do love that guy dearly!!

    You've got great friends that you don't see nearly as often as you would like but can count on for the race every year....

    You've got the wives that have been sucked into this and have learned to love every minute of it..... even when the husbands begin planning in December...


    You've got just funny stupid stuff that you don't EVER get to do, or really even get to think about in the real world...

    You've got a great group of guys who have grown up.......but when you get them together at the Indy 500, anything is possible...

    Oh, throw a couple of REALLY important girls in there too....

    The Mess at IMS was lots of fun this year and I am so glad I could participate. Not gonna lie, there were definitely a few key people I missed this year, but I am so happy I got to be there and enjoy the traditions....
    .. Who knows what next year will bring but this year definitely brought some AWESOME memories....

    Posted by Kim: comments
  • 1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I love it!!!! Thanks Kim, now I have the pictures for ALL mikes stories.